Saturday, March 24, 2012

Spring is Here

Mother Nature has been kind this year to those of us on the East Coast. After one of the mildest winters that I can remember, she has brought us an early Spring.

Last week saw several record temperatures in New Jersey, prompting the trees to flower even though it is still March. All around town, I see the dogwood and cherry blossoms in bloom, and the green buds on other trees and bushes. It is a stark contrast to the winter of 2010-11 that seemed to never end. I'm not brave enough to risk a cold by going out without a sweater or jacket just yet, but I have forsaken my scarf and hat.

As I walk through the park today, the sights and smells of a beautiful morning make me want to rush home to work on my new novel. Thanks to the rain of several weeks ago, it had been taking on a somber tone but I now have the urge to go back and rewrite those scenes into more cheerful ones.

As a writer of contemporary romance, my novels are based on people I know and set in places I have been. Looking back, I also can see that the mood of the story took a cue from what was happening in my life. I can pinpoint my own highs and lows by how I described a scene or by the interaction of the characters.

Is this a writer's gift or curse? Is it harder to write an upbeat chapter when it is gloomy and grey outside the window? A good writer might try to put all else out of theirs minds and concentrate on the words before their eyes, but is it possible to completely blot it out.

Fellow writer, share your thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. I am a opportunistic writer and tend to just go with the mood, but sometimes deadlines don't allow that so a good way to change the mood if it's gloomy outside is with music. It's hard to feel gloomy with up-beat pop tunes :)
    Wagging Tales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charmaine, I'll have to give it a try!

      Delete