Friday, August 13, 2010

What's My Work-Life Balance?

Country Home - RELT

If I had been asked this questions a few years ago, I would have said, most emphatically, that what I do for a living was most important. I had a high-power, high-pressure job in the big city and spent fifteen hours a day doing that job because I was good at it. I wanted to make a name for myself and nothing was going to stand in my way as I accomplished thatq goal. Where I lived was a small studio apartment that served as a place to change my clothes and have my mail delivered.

Fast forward to today, and my priorities have swung 180 degress due to unexpected personal events. I've moved to the 'burbs and cut way down on my billable hours. I work for a steady paycheck, but my passion has now shifted to things like gardening and enjoying a cup of coffee on the deck in the quiet of the morning. I have also rekindled my love of writing and have had two novels published.

Looking back on things, I realize that living far away from the bustle of the city has done wonders for my health and my outlook on life, and I wonder why it took so long for me to move here.

Powered by Plinky

No comments:

Post a Comment